Thursday, September 15, 2011

HATE vs. LOVE

Hate..... it is such a strong word.  I admit that I have used it in a casual way before for instance "I hate beets" but a friend on facebook made the statement that her daughter told her she hated her. The mother wondered what she was doing right to have her daughter say such a thing. Now I know what this sweet mother was trying to say, I love her dearly, but as I have been thinking about that comment over the past couple of weeks I thought back to my own daughters as teenagers and I cannot think of one time that they told me they hated me. 


As we have just had another year pass since 9-11 and I remember that day so vividly I have never felt hate. Only sadness. I had no one close to me die or even be close to the east coast that day, but I felt it. I still feel it. It is always one of the highlights to my trips back to visit Syd. This past trip we stopped and spoke to some of the workers that were building the new Freedom Tower, I asked them where they were that day.  They were there, at ground zero, working on some other buildings. I asked what they did, they said they ran, and then turned and went back to watch, then ran again. It took one man 12 hours to get home. And 2 days for his legs to stop shaking.


My niece died from cancer last year. I don't hate cancer. It is hard, I miss her, we all miss her terribly, and I still struggle when people make the comment to look at all the good that has come from our families trial. Baloney. Yes she has great parents. Yes she is in a better place, a place I wish I could be. Yes she is no longer in pain. Yes she has left an effect on so many people on this earth. But she is gone we can't have the kids get together and play, she doesn't get in my purse and dig out the gum then look at me with those big brown eyes, she doesn't call to see what's for dessert on Sunday night.


I believe that the word to counteract hate is LOVE, of course. Easy answer right?? But is it really? This mother loves her daughter very much and this daughter loves her mother.  Her daughter said that because her mother was showing her love by not allowing her to do something that could lead to some harm and mothers know best. 


As I wave my flag and sing the national anthem, I feel love for my country, for those serving this country, for their families left behind carrying on life while they serve for strangers, I feel love for those that died that day, innocent victims. I feel love for those workers that came back and are building the future. I feel love for their families because they ran.


We are coming up on one year since AmyLynne's death. I love my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ. I love that because of His sacrifice for me I will see her again. I love that I have the memories to treasure in my heart. I love knowing that I will be with the love of my life, Shawn, forever. I love that I can hear a Prophets voice. I love that miracles do happen. 

1 comment:

  1. I started writing a novel and deleted it. ;) Glad your girls have been able to express themselves better to you. Love ya

    ReplyDelete